I only read when my OCD kicks in

I enjoy reading, however, the bulk of reading only occurs while I am in an OCD focus zone. Last year I read over 70 books but I didn't pick up a book from August 2013 until March 25, 2014... I have already read 3 books this year!

Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)

Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) - China Miéville [bc:Perdido Street Station|68494|Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)|China Miéville|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327891688s/68494.jpg|3221410]

FYI. I wanted to read this book for years. I could never get more than 15%. So I acquired the Audio book and I was then able to read and listen at the same time. This will more than likely be one of the most difficult reads you ever take on.

Summary/Plot:
Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin (protagonist) is an off beat scientist that lives in the heart of New Crobuzon along with girlfriend Lin. Isaac is offered huge commission to restore flight to Yagharek who is a specie of rare flying creature. Isaac sets out to restore Yagharek's flight by first studying other flying creatures. Isaac Stumbles upon Crisis Energy which absorbs him to the point of releasing most of the animals he is studying except for a multicolored caterpillar. Isaac discovers that the caterpillar only eats a hallucinogenic drug called "dreamshit", which causes the caterpillar to grow at an alarming rate and to eventually metamorph into a giant mink sucking butterfly. Isaac is left to stop the creature(s) that soon start to terrorize New Crobuzon.

Main Characters:
Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin (human)
Yagharek (garuda)
Lin (khepri)
Mr. Motley (remade mutant human)
Bentham Budgeteer (human) Mayor of New Crobuzon
Teafortwo ( wyrman)

Types of creatures:
Garuda: Humanoid bird of prey.
Khepri: Beetle head human body.
Remade: Mechanically or DNA altered humans that have a mix of other humans and or species.
Wyrman: Gargoyle like creatures not known for their intelligence.

OPINION:
It takes forever to get into this book but somewhere around Chapter 20 it explodes. I contend that the story is overwritten, to complex for the typical reader. Aside from that this is a great read!

BREAKDOWN STAR REVIEW:

Storyline: I give 5 out of 5 stars Unique and well described world. I can imagine all the junior writers out there creating their own stories in this world.

Writing style: 3 out of 5 stars. You will need a Thesaurus and a Dictionary by your side as you read this book. No doubt Mr Mieville is an excellent writer, unfortunately for me it reads every sentence as if he intends to shove his greatness down my throat. Overwritten is my word and for me it takes a bit of enjoyment away from the world.

Depth/Inspiration: 4 out of 5 stars. Bound to inspire the creative gene in others.

Entertainment/Education value: 5 out of 5 stars. I can see a Hollywood blockbuster here. I can also see every college in the world making this a required reading. If you can finish this book in under a week and understand it without the use of a dictionary you should get an perfect score for the semester. It is much akin to reading a science book.